Friday, March 5, 2010

Mama Bean posts links on Friday - March 5, 2010

-Technically, I put this link on my facebook last week, so it should have been on last Friday's Link Love, but I missed it. It's a little video of the machines inside our bodies. Super cute and well executed. I really loved my anatomy and physiology courses at Chiropractic college.

-Bea Arthur Mountains Pizza. Bea! Arthur! Mountains! Pizza! Does that sound like all of the most awesome things ever in one awesome site? It should, because that's what it is. Go waste some time.

-I mentioned John Piper last week. He's a little more conservative than I am, but I still find his sermons and writings well argued and compelling. Papa Bean has been learning and writing about the early Bible stories in his classes this semester, and thinking about these same questions of a violent God. This is Piper's take on how God could kill women and children in the Old Testament.

-The Nickel Arts Museum at the University of Calgary had a validation machine as part of an exhibit. My friend K's then fiance (now husband) Jim got me a ticket punched by the machine that says "You are loved." I think it's still in my bible, or an album somewhere. This video, called Validation, is a really beautiful love story that makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside. (Also, the guy in the video played Dr. Bobolik on Nip/Tuck seasons 1-3.)

-This image is a brief recap of the typical life. Friend K, from above, said she would add "eternal and ever-deepening happiness" after "commitment" which I guess lets the rest of us know how that marriage to Jim is going. (By the way, the haha.nu site at which the bulk of these links are found is, obvs, totally excellent. They post 5-10 things a day, from funny videos to cute picture sets. I don't know where they find it all. Also, it's not based in North America, so sometimes the engrish in the commentary is amusement in itself.)

-Welcome to your new web addiction, Young Me/Now Me. As Jennifer commented, "Can't... stop... looking..." and it's so true. I like everything about this competition/collection of people's recreations of pictures from their youth. I like how it's young-now, not young-old or then-now. I like the head shots of baby photos vs. adults, where you can see how their eyes and smiles stay more or less the same through out life. I like the happenstance "recreations" where it's obvious the person (or, more likely, their family and friends) stumbled on two pictures of them being goofy as an adult in exactly the same way they were goofy as a child. I like the clever replacements, a cigarette and martini in place of a baby bottle, pizza and beer instead of birthday cake. I like it all. And now you will, too.

-Another haha.nu short film called Accro. The site reposts videos from its Shorts series pretty regularly, which is nice, because I like to revisit internet gems without having to bookmark everything obsessively. Although, let's be honest, I'm pretty good at obsessing. This video is kind of depressing, very existential-what-is-the-point-of-our-futile-existence. But the animation is so cute, and the depiction is so clever. I mean, this is art, right? This is depicting your reality, communicating it meaningfully, so it speaks to a shared reality. That's how I see it, anyway.

-I've been reading Dr. Amy Tuteur's blog, the Skeptical OB, for a little while. I probably found it during my research of homebirth, because Dr. Amy is a strong proponent of conventional medical management of birth, and actively (accrimoniously?) against homebirth. I don't agree with everything she says (obviously) but I appreciate her straightforward approach to reading scientific literature. I think lay persons, meaning non scientists, can really benefit from approaching media reports of scientific findings more critically. I linked to her post on snowplow parents. The next step after helicopter parents (those who hover), these parents simply plow all obstacles and troubles ahead of their children, so they never need strive or struggle. It's an interesting term. Enjoy. Oddly, the only person who "liked" this on my facebook is not, as far as I know, a parent or parent-to-be.

-I don't know who Nerina Pallot is, and I don't care to wiki it right now. She covered Poker Face, and wore a cat hat while doing so. She blathers, that's the only word for it, a good long time at the beginning of the video, so just fastforward until it looks like she's going to put on the hat and start singing, and start from there.

-You don't even have to click on this one, I'll just repost it here: "After accidentally offending someone, I want them to understand: I didn't mean it. But when I'm offended - who cares what they meant?!" This is Abraham Piper's (at 22words) suggestion that we all change our reaction to feeling offended. I love this blog.

-Oh goodness, alright, I'm limiting future haha.nu posts to, like, one a week. This is the OK Go video for This Too Shall Pass. It's a giant Rube Goldberg machine they orchestrated in a warehouse. It is The Awesome. I mentioned on facebook that OK Go and Rube Goldberg machines remind me of my friend Mike, to which he replied (of the video), "whoa... best pythagoras switch ever!" which is another name for Rube Goldbergs (or Heath Robinson contraptions, for our UK readers. Ha! As if... .) Because Mike is a tinkery kind of inventor-like kind of guy, and naturally he would know the synonyms for these things. Mike is also The Awesome. He once told me his plans to make biodiesel from yard waste in his basement.

-First, a Dr. Amy link, then a Science-Based Medicine link. I don't know why I read these blogs of allopathic superheroes who denigrate my profession and birthing choices, but I check them every day. This post is about Chiropractic, so I had a vested interested in reading the article, and the comments. I thought my chiro-college facebookers would comment more, but 'twas not to be. I'm interested in reading Sam Homola's books, Inside Chiropractic and Bonesetting, Chiropractic, and Cultism. I have struggled professionally with the subluxation concept, and how it translates to my day-to-day practice life. Anyway, sorry if there were too many boring science-y healthcare posts this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment