Friday, February 12, 2010

Mama Bean posts links on Friday - February 12, 2010

- Another mom blog I read, Conversion Diary, linked to The Domestic Monastery, a lovely little post at lifeissues.net about monasticism in the life of the stay-at-home mom. I am not a stay-at-home mom, but this nonetheless spoke to the change in circumstance having a child brings to one's home life. In particular, I liked the comparison between the constant demands of children and the monastic bell: "She hears the monastic bell many times during the day and she has to drop things in mid-sentence and respond, not because she wants to, but because it's time for that activity and time isn't her time, but God's time." This ties in well with another post I recently read on the spirituality of domesticity, which I will blog more completely later.

- Following a fairly awkward annual general meeting at church, I read this summary of the story of Jethro and Moses. It lays out guidelines for approaching a leader with suggestions for improvement (being Jethro) and guidelines for receiving such suggestions as a gracious leader (being Moses). At first, I really zeroed in on the Jethro side of the lesson, because that's the role I'm more likely to play, as a congregant. However, the lessons in Moses' reaction apply to anyone who faces criticism, which is all of us. It was an encouraging read, as we enter an intense time at church. And I think it will be helpful, too, as I navigate the mom-world, with its incessant advice and suggestions, unbidden, but impossible to ignore.

- And on a lighter note, love this BBC video satirizing How To Report the News.

No comments:

Post a Comment